- Pet foods from Midwestern Pet Company are under a voluntary recall.
- A reported 70 dogs have died, and more than 80 have gotten sick.
- The food was found to have dangerous levels of aflatoxins, which are produced by mold.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The FDA is warning veterinarians and animal owners that Sportmix pet foods from Midwestern Pet Foods may be toxic.
The dog food might contain dangerous levels of aflatoxins, a toxin created by certain kinds of mold. So far, 70 dogs have died and more than 80 have become ill after eating Sportmix food, although not all the cases are confirmed to be from aflatoxins.
Midwestern Pet Foods has issued a voluntary recall of foods produced at the Oklahoma plant, and owners should stop feeding the food to pets immediately and consult a vet. They can also report suspected cases of aflatoxin poisoning to the FDA, which is investigating Midwestern Pet Foods in cooperation with departments of agriculture in 10 states.
Aflatoxin poisoning can cause "sluggishness, loss of appetite, vomiting, jaundice (yellowish tint to the eyes, gums or skin due to liver damage), and/or diarrhea" according to the FDA. It can also result in long-term liver damage and death. No illnesses have been reported in cats or humans, The New York Times reported, although people are recommended to wash their hands after handling.
The pet food company first issued a voluntary recall in December when tests showed high levels of aflatoxin. On January 11, Midwestern Pet Foods expanded the recall to include other products, and the full list can be found on the FDA's website.
"As a fourth-generation family-owned company, Midwestern Pet Foods has been committed to ensuring that our products are safe and nutritious for nearly 100 years. Until recently, throughout our long history, we've never had a product recall" the company said in a statement. "We continue a thorough review of our facilities and practices in full cooperation with FDA in an effort to better serve our customers and pet parents who put their trust in us."
MPF listed the codes of all the affected pet foods here.