- You can send inline replies in the Messages app on your iPhone if you have iOS 14 and you're messaging iMessage users.
- Replying inline makes it easier to carry on multiple conversation threads within the same chat.
- To reply inline, tap and hold a message until the pop-up menu appears, then choose "Reply."
- Visit Business Insider's Tech Reference library for more stories.
Inline replies only work in conversations with other iMessage users – the option won't be available if you are texting with a non-iPhone user. But you can use inline replies in two-person conversations or in group chats.
How to inline reply in Messages on iPhone
1. Open the Messages app on your iPhone and open a conversation.
2. Tap and hold the message you want to reply to. Hold it until you see the pop-up menu.
3. Tap "Reply."
4. Type your message and send it.
Replies appear in two places within your conversation:
- If you scroll to the location in the conversation where you replied, you should see how many replies there are to that message. Tap it to expand the text and continue replying.
- The reply will also appear at the bottom of the conversation, so you can respond to it without having to scroll back up to find it. A gray bracket indicates the reply.