- You can search for a word on a page using keyboard shortcuts or web browser controls.
- You can also use Google to search for a word on specific sites or web pages.
- Using the search function to find specific words or phrases can help you find information faster.
- Visit Insider's Tech Reference library for more stories.
The internet is vast, but sometimes you need to cut to the chase to get things done. Searching for a word on a page can drastically reduce the amount of time it takes to get the information you need.
There are several methods you can use to search for a word on a web page, program, or website, depending on the kind of computer you have.
Try Command+F or Control+F keyboard shortcuts
On most web pages, word processors, and other programs, you can use the keyboard shortcut Command + F on a Mac, or Control + F on Windows to find what you need.
A text box will then appear toward the top of the screen where you can enter the desired search term. Then, simply hit Enter to find instances of that word or phrase on the page. You can use the up and down arrows on the search box to find each instance.
Find your web browser controls
Browsers also come with their own built-in search functions. Here's how to access these tools whether you're using Google Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.
1. Click the More button, which looks like three horizontal lines, located in the top-right corner of the web browser, next to the address bar.
2. Select Find or Find in This Page.
3. In the pop-up, type in your search term or phrase and hit Enter.
Use Google to search sites
1. Go to google.com.
2. Type site: and then the name of the website you want to search, followed by a space and then your search term or phrase.
3. Hit Enter. From here, you'll be able to find all the pages on that site that include the search term or phrase you've specified.