- You can group tabs in Google Chrome under a common, color-coded group title, making it easier to find and manage web pages.
- To create a group, right-click any tab and choose "Add tab to new group."
- To minimize a tab group, click the group title; click it again to expand it.
- Visit Business Insider's Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you tend to keep a lot of tabs open in your Chrome browser, you know the challenges of working with many websites at once: your tab bar is cluttered and it's often hard to find a page you know is open - somewhere - in your browser. Organizing your tabs into groups can streamline your browsing experience and make web pages easier to find and organize.
How to group tabs in Google Chrome
1. Right-click any tab in Chrome. In the dropdown menu, click "Add tab to new group."
2. A new group will appear. Type a name for the group and select a color.
3. There are several ways to add new tabs to the group. Use whichever method is most convenient:
- Click an existing tab and drag it into the group - you'll know it's in the group when it is outlined in the same color as the group you've created.
- Right-click the tab group name and choose "New tab in group."
- Right-click any tab in the current group and click "New tab to the right."
After you create your first tab, if you right-click a new tab, you will have the option to add it to the existing group or to make a new group. There are only eight colors to choose from, but there's no practical limit to how many tab groups you can create in Chrome.
Once your group is created, you can minimize the group and move it around to better organize your web pages.
To minimize the tabs, click the group title. All the tabs will "collapse" under the group title. This is a handy way to get a lot of related tabs out of the way while you are browsing.
To move a group of tabs around, click the group title and drag it to the left or right - all the tabs will move with it. You can do this when the group is minimized or expanded.
How to remove a tab from a group
If you want to remove a tab from a group, just click and drag the tab to the left or right. It's out of the group when you see the colored outline disappear from the selected group.
How to delete a group
If you want to close all the tabs in a group at once, right-click the group title and choose "Close group." All the tabs will close right away.
If you simply want to eliminate the group title but keep the tabs open, right-click and choose "Ungroup."