Hello everyone! Welcome to this weekly roundup of Investing stories from deputy editor Joe Ciolli. Please subscribe here to get this newsletter in your inbox every week.
Hello and welcome to Insider Investing. I'm Joe Ciolli, and I'm here to guide you through what's been happening in markets, as well as what to expect in the coming weeks. Here's what's on the docket:
- The volatility seen in the market recently is the type that creates opportunities for shrewd investors. UBS details 3 ways investors can take advantage of the swings, while investment strategist Luke Lloyd shares 4 specific stock picks poised to beat the market in the aftermath.
- NFTs are the latest craze to capture the attention and imagination of investors. Renowned investor Cathie Wood of Ark Invest shares why she's excited about them, and dishes on 5 of her fund's top holdings.
- Michael Oh, manager of the Matthews Asia Innovators Fund, is up nearly 200% over the past 10 years. He told us the four pillars of his investing strategy, and shared three stocks he likes over the next five to 10 years.
Your weekly recap/outlook
This past week was one where the market just couldn't make up its mind. US stocks surged on Monday after suffering their worst decline in months the prior week. Then inflation fears and spiking bond yields spooked investors anew as Fed Chair Jerome Powell failed to calm nerves.
The tides turned again on Friday as anxious dip-buyers quickly pulled tech stocks back out of correction following a monster jobs report that nearly doubled forecasts. Now it's anyone's guess where the market heads next week.
The volatility is stemming at least partially from uncertainty around how signs of economic progress should be interpreted. On one hand, encouraging labor-market data should have investors excited about the prospect of increased consumer spending. But on the flip side, an economy that runs too hot risks runaway inflation - the sort of thing addressed by higher interest rates. And when rates rise, stocks lose luster. It's quite the catch-22.
What made this past week so unique was how wildly sentiment swung from "bad news is good news" to "good news is good news," often in the same day. Whichever camp investors decide on will largely dictate market action in the near term. And the main inputs for that will continue to be economic data, Fed comments, and stimulus progress. Stay tuned.
The US stock market was whipsawed last week by fluctuating expectations for post-stimulus inflation. Tech stocks fell into correction territory and one point before rallying into the weekend. It was the type of environment that creates opportunities for well-prepared investors.
In response to the volatility, UBS detailed 3 ways investors can take advantage of the swings. Meanwhile, investment strategist Luke Lloyd of Strategic Wealth Partners shared the single sector and 4 specific stock picks poised to beat the market in the aftermath.
Read the full stories here:
UBS shares 3 ways investors can take advantage of market swings following the late-February selloff - and lays out 3 sectors that can benefit from higher growth and interest rates
An investment strategist shares the stock sector and 4 specific picks that offer the best chance to beat the market following the Treasury yield-driven sell-off in tech
Cathie Wood's main fund has declined sharply since its record close on February 12 amid a broad tech sell-off. In a recent interview, Wood said she'd focus on high-conviction names during extended corrections. She also shared why she's very excited about NFTs and her bullish thoughts on five top Ark Invest holdings.
Read the full story here:
Ark CEO Cathie Wood explains why she is 'very excited' about NFTs, the collectible tokens that are trading for millions online - and shares her latest thoughts on 5 top holdings, including bitcoin
Michael Oh, manager of the Matthews Asia Innovators Fund, is up nearly 200% over the past 10 years, which puts him in the top 1% of his peer group. He broke down for Insider the four pillars of his investing strategy, and shared three stocks he likes over the next five to 10 years.
Read the full story here:
Michael Oh has beaten 99% of his peers over the last 10 years. He told us the 4 pillars of his investing strategy, and shared 3 stocks he thinks will see explosive growth over the next 5-10 years.
Stock pick central
Seeking experts who are willing to name names? Look no further:
- GOLDMAN SACHS: Buy these 30 stocks that are set to keep surging as economic acceleration and inflation continue to lift interest rates
- Morgan Stanley shares 3 hardware stocks to buy as the economy recovers - and explains why the industry is historically the best performer in tech after recessions
- Buy these 15 stocks set to beat the market and surge even as rising bond yields cause tantrums elsewhere, Credit Suisse says
- UBS: Buy these 14 back-to-normal stocks now before a 'sharp acceleration' in consumer spending in Q2 as vaccinations pick up
- Buy these 14 stocks set to go into overdrive as consumers' stimulus checks arrive in March, Cowen says
- Goldman Sachs explains how President Biden's proposed policies could lead to 60% spike in solar-power volume - and breaks down 3 non-Tesla stocks set to benefit
- MORGAN STANLEY: Buy these 14 infrastructure stocks now as Congress gets ready to pass a deal later this year - including 8 that could rise at least 55%