- Donald Trump announced plans Wednesday to launch a new social media site called TRUTH Social.
- Former Trump spokesperson Jason Miller said the two were unable to reach a deal on a platform.
- Miller left his Trump role to launch the "free speech" app GETTR, which Trump hasn't joined.
Jason Miller, who served as an adviser to former President Donald Trump, said the two were unable to reach a deal regarding their social media sites in a statement that followed Trump announcing plans to launch a new platform.
Earlier this year, Miller left his role as Trump's spokesman to launch GETTR, a social media platform that brands itself as a "free speech" app.
Trump officially announced plans for a new platform on Wednesday, saying in a statement he created it "to stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech." The social media site, which will be called TRUTH Social, is slated to launch for the public in 2022, according to Trump.
Following the news, Miller released a statement congratulating Trump and saying the two had tried to come to a deal.
"Congratulations to President Trump for re-entering the social media fray! Now Facebook and Twitter will lose even more market share," he wrote. "President Trump has always been a great deal-maker, but we just couldn't come to terms on a deal."
He also touted new features on GETTR and urged people to download the app.
Trump has been exploring ways to get back on social media after being booted from popular platforms like Twitter and Facebook earlier this year for violating their terms of service.
In addition to foregoing GETTR, Trump has not joined any of the other alternative apps aimed at conservatives and members of the far-right, such as Parler or Gab.