The sources told the media site that the party in Edson, Alberta, happened about two weeks ago, and an undisclosed number of attendees wound up in an intensive care unit at a hospital in Edmonton.
A "Get COVID" party is similar to "chickenpox party," in which people gather to intentionally expose their unvaccinated children to the virus in hopes of gaining natural immunity - a practice pediatricians call a gamble.
"These types of events would be highly dangerous and needlessly endanger lives," he said.
Health Minister Jason Copping told Vice News that indoor gatherings are banned for unvaccinated people and has urged residents to get vaccinated.
"People who are hosting or attending these parties not only put themselves at risk of serious illness or death, but are adding stress to the health care system, which in turn may prevent other Albertans from getting the care they need," he said.
Fauci's suggestion is not unheard of: Requiring a vaccine for air travel is supported by the majority of Americans. A Gallup poll taken in August found that 61% of respondents supported vaccines for flying.
The director of the NIAID also noted in The Skimm interview that the US is likely to reach "herd immunity" status if the "overwhelming proportion of the population" gets vaccinated. His comments come less than one week after President Joe Biden announced a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for federal employees, healthcare workers, and companies with over 100 employees.
Biden's vaccination mandate drew the ire of GOP officials who accused the president of overstepping the government's authority. Several Republican governors said they plan to sue the Biden administration over the new requirements.
President Joe Biden is requiring COVID-19 vaccines for staff at all healthcare facilities that receive federal funding - more than 17,000 employees in total, the White House announced on Thursday. These employees will not have the option to get routinely tested as an alternative to being vaccinated.
The new policy implements a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for all hospitals that receive Medicare or Medicaid funding - around 50,000 healthcare providers in total. Biden's plan also involves an emergency requirement that private companies with more than 100 employees require workers to be vaccinated or get tested weekly. Federal employees and contractors of federal agencies, meanwhile, will be required to get vaccinated.
The US Government Accountability Office estimates that tens of thousands of healthcare facilities participate in Medicare and Medicaid. Very few hospitals elect not to, since it would mean turning away the majority of patients seeking care. Non-profit hospitals also receive a federal tax exemption for treating Medicare and Medicaid patients.
Biden's new mandate, therefore, could significantly raise vaccination rates among US healthcare workers. These rates remain surprisingly low, despite the fact that hospital workers were among the first to become eligible for COVID-19 shots during the winter.
By the end of May, 1 in 4 hospital workers who have direct contact with patients had not received a single vaccine dose, according to a recent analysis of data collected by the US Department of Health and Human Services. The analysis also found that 1 in 3 healthcare workers at the nation's 50 largest hospitals were unvaccinated.
"You just get tired of this after a while," Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, told Insider last month. "You shouldn't have to convince people who work around a vulnerable population of hospitalized patients that part of that means that you don't get to catch and transmit a potentially fatal infection."
Low vaccination rates also present a continued health risk at long-term care facilities. Just 46% of aides and 57% of nurses at these facilities were vaccinated as of early April, according to a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Biden announced last month that he would require nursing home staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
The US Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights is investigating whether or not indoor mask bans in five states prevent students with disabilities who are at a heightened risk for COVID-19 from "safely accessing in-person education."
State education leaders in Iowa, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Utah were sent letters from the Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights to inform them their state mask bans were being investigated.
"National data also show that children with some underlying medical conditions, including those with certain disabilities, are at higher risk than other children for experiencing severe illness from COVID-19," Acting Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Suzanne Goldberg wrote to each of the five states. "At the same time, extensive evidence supports the universal use of masks over the nose and mouth to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission."
US Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona said in a statement that his department had heard from concerned parents who feared their students with disabilities or underlying health conditions weren't receiving equal access to learning.
"It's simply unacceptable that state leaders are putting politics over the health and education of the students they took an oath to serve," he said in the statement. "The Department will fight to protect every student's right to access in-person learning safely and the rights of local educators to put in place policies that allow all students to return to the classroom full-time in-person safely this fall."
The US Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights said that it was not launching investigations into Florida, Texas, Arkansas or Arizona because state-ordered mask bans are not being enforced because of court orders "or other state actions."
After 16 attempts in the past five decades, Sirhan Sirhan, the man convicted of assassinating Sen. Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, was granted parole by a California board on Friday, after two of Kennedy's sons offered support for his release.
Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón's office did not attend the 77-year-old's parole hearing on Friday, marking the first time no prosecutor opposed his release, The Washington Post reported.
Sirhan, who was convicted of first-degree murder, has been in prison for 53 years after initially being sentenced to death.
His sentence was reduced to life with the possibility of parole after California abolished the death penalty in the early 1970s. The state later reinstated the death penalty, but has a complex appeals process that leads to very few executions anymore.
Parole for the convicted assassin must still be approved by the full parole board and California Gov. Gavin Newsom before Sirhan is officially released.
According to the Post, Kennedy's family made a last-minute decision to attend Friday's hearing, where son Douglas H. Kennedy spoke in favor of Sirhan's release.
"I really do believe any prisoner who is found to be not a threat to themselves or the world should be released," Douglas Kennedy said, according to the Associated Press. "I believe that applies to everyone, every human being, including Mr. Sirhan...I was very deeply moved by Mr. Sirhan's expression of remorse and at times it brought tears to my eyes and affected me very deeply."
One of Kennedy's other sons sent a letter to the parole board expressing support for Sirhan's parole as well, The Post reported.
By Friday,more than 100,000 people had been evacuated from Kabul, but thousands more Afghans who helped the US military or are vulnerable to the militant group's strict rule are in danger of being left behind if they can't catch a flight out before the August 31 deadline for the US to leave.
Most people who tried to evacuate didn't bring anything with them.
Many people pictured at Hamid Karzai International Airport this week have had few belongings with them.
Military troops told refugees they could only bring one suitcase and the clothes they were wearing on board evacuation planes, according to the BBC.
The US State Department issued a depressing missive on Friday: "There are efforts underway to develop a system that will enable travelers from Hamid Karzai International Airport to recover baggage that was lost in transit."
The airport has had issues with "heaps of garbage" around its gates because of the mass number of people traveling to the site.
In a speech about troop withdrawal and ensuing humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan on Friday, President Joe Biden acknowledged the pause of flights, saying there was a backlog of processing refugees at the Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar, where US flights from Kabul over the past week have been heading.
"We paused flights in Kabul [for] a few hours this morning to make sure we could process the arriving evacuees at the transit points," he said.
Capitol Police investigated a report of an explosive device outside the Library of Congress in Washington, DC, on Thursday. A suspect surrendered to law-enforcement officials at about 2:20 p.m. and was taken into custody after an hours-long standoff, the police said.
Officers evacuated the area around the building, near the US Capitol and the Supreme Court, shortly after 9 a.m. in response to what they said was a suspicious device in a pickup truck.
"This is an active bomb threat investigation," the Capitol Police tweeted at about 10:30 a.m. "Please continue to avoid the area around the Library of Congress."
Law-enforcement officials had told The Associated Press they were determining whether the device in the truck was an "operable explosive" and whether the man was holding a detonator.
Officials told NBC News they had not identified anything resembling an explosive device in the truck. They told NBC the driver had said he had explosives and was writing on a dry-erase board to communicate with officials.
"Around 9:15 this morning, a man in a black pickup truck drove onto the sidewalk in front of the Library of Congress," Capitol Police Chief Thomas Manger said in a news conference at about noon.
"We responded to a disturbance call," Manger said. "The driver of the truck told the responding officer on the scene that he had a bomb and what appeared, the officer said, appeared to be a detonator in the man's hand."
Manger added: "We're trying to get as much information as we can to find a way to peacefully resolve this. We are in communication with the suspect."
Manger said officials had not determined a motive. Law-enforcement officials identified the suspect as Floyd Ray Roseberry, 49, believed to be from Grover, North Carolina.
The man had livestreamed himself on Facebook expressing anti-government views, officials and reporters said, but the video and his account appeared to have been taken down on Thursday. "I'm ready to die for the cause," he said in a clip that HuffPost's Ryan Reilly tweeted.
Capitol Police set up a perimeter around the Capitol, and congressional staffers were asked to shelter in their offices. The Cannon House Office Building and the Library of Congress' Jefferson and Madison buildings were evacuated, Capitol Hill reporterssaid.
Congress is not in session this week, meaning most lawmakers are not in the city, though people are still working in the buildings.
Washington, DC, has been on high alert since rioters stormed the Capitol complex on January 6, resulting in numerous injuries and several deaths.
That day, two pipe bombs were found outside the offices of the Republican and Democratic national committees. No one got hurt, though the identity of the person who planted the devices remains unknown, and the FBI has called on the public to come forward with details.
This story is developing and will continue to be updated.