A hospital issued a warning after 3 kids got third-degree burns from trying the ‘Squid Game’ dalgona candy TikTok trend

squid game
Making Squid Game's dalgona candy has spiked injuries at one hospital.
  • Three kids were hospitalized with third-degree burns in Sydney after trying to make dalgona candy.
  • Dalgona is a South Korean snack that grew popular after it was featured on "Squid Game."
  • The TikTok trend of making dalgona prompted the hospital to issue a warning to parents.

A "Squid Game" TikTok trend of making dalgona, a popular South Korean candy, has hospitalized children with severe burns and prompted one hospital to issue a warning to parents, Yahoo News reported.

The classic South Korean snack is a sugary toffee made by melting sugar with baking soda before pouring the mixture onto a flat surface and stamping it with a shape. In Netflix's violent dystopian thriller, contestants must perfectly cut out the shapes stamped into the brittle candies with a needle and face execution if the candy cracks.

One hospital in Sydney treated three children with burn injuries that occurred when they tried to pour the boiling-hot mixture of sugar and baking soda onto parchment paper. The children's injuries ranged from minor burns to nerve damage.

"Sugar melts at a temperature that is higher than what's needed to boil water, so the honeycomb toffee mix is both hotter and stickier. If the mixture is spilt or handled while it's still hot, the greater heat and longer contact time causes deeper, more serious burns," said Dr. Erik La Hei, the acting head of the hospital's burns unit.

The candy is relatively easy to make, and recipes have proliferated online as the show surged in popularity. On TikTok, #dalgonachallenge has over 22 million views, with users filming themselves making the candy and attempting to cut out a shape without cracking it.

One Australian teen who attempted to make the candy did so by heating a mixture of water, baking soda, and sugar in the microwave, instead of in a pot on the stovetop as most recipes instruct home chefs to do. The cup exploded in the teen's hand after he took it out of the microwave, resulting in first-degree burns to his hand and third-degree burns on his legs. The damage was so severe that doctors may give him a skin graft and he may need a full year to recover.

"Squid Game" has been a boon for Netflix, generating $900 million for the company despite costing a mere $21 million to create. Netflix did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Comments are closed.